Monday, December 8, 2008

What an Awesome Opportunity!

Thank you so much to all the supporters of Project Restore and the supporters of those individuals who went to Namulonge. I also want to thank MedWish International for the awesome abundance of medical supplies. The nurse, Immaculate, was so thrilled to get the much needed items. To Janice, thank you for the baby scale. We got to use it for the first time on a newborn less than 24 hours old (she weighed 6.5 pounds).

This was such an awesome trip, and we were able to help improve the lives of so many in Namulonge, Uganda. Shortly after we arrived, I was abruptly reminded of why we were there. On the way to the church, we saw a man on the side of the road, kneeling over, and drinking water out of a mud puddle. To be so desperate for water that you would drink dirty water from the side of the road is beyond my comprehension. I hope to never have to experience that, and my heart aches for those who do.

The people of Namulonge are so kind and generous. We were showered with smiles, food, tea, more food, more tea, and such warmth. They were so giving. The family I stayed with had no mosquito nets for themselves (in fact one of the small children who lived there had malaria); yet, they made sure we had nets.

Seeing the water flowing from the formerly broken pump, a basket ball court erected, new school books, science supplies, families with mosquito nets for the first time, and a great looking roof were all things I will never forget. What was even greater was seeing those from our team and the people of Namulonge working together to make these things happen. We were able to build relationships and friendships through working together and talking during down time. When it came down to it, it made no difference as to the color of skin, the language, or the socioeconomic status. We were working for one common interest: The improvement of lives. What we were able to do helped those of Namulonge be able to LIVE a little more with a little less "just surviving." That's what it's about. That's what we, our supporters, and the people of Namulonge did.

I cannot wait to go back. I hope I am blessed to be able to do so again. I love the people of Namulonge. They will always have a special place in my heart, and the red dirt will probably always have a place on my jeans and in my shoes.

Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment